Sunday, September 6, 2009

Pick Me, PICK ME!!

This is a slightly different cover letter from the one I brought to class on Friday. On Friday night, I received an e-mail from NUS Career Services advertising some vacation internship opportunities. Maybe it was because I have been influenced by this class? I was actually quite interested in what sort of internships they had to offer so I went ahead to check it out. As it turns out, there was one internship which caught my eye! So there I was, at 2330h on a Friday night, trying to modify my cover letter and resume (the ones I brought to class) into something relevant for my internship application.

At 0130h (Saturday morning), I was done and I thought that my final product was actually much more impressive than the one I produced in class. So, that’s what I’m going to show. Who doesn’t want to impress, right?

Right, so I’m applying for an internship as an Analyst in a Investment Consultancy. Its key candidate requirements are:

  1. Full-time matriculated students from the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (Economics) or School of Business (Accountancy, Business Policy, Finance, Management & Organization, Marketing)
  2. Preferably in the third year of study.

Unfortunately, I only fulfill one criterion, the lesser one. But I thought, hey, why not just apply? It won’t hurt. If I don’t get it, I don’t get it. If I get it…I get extra moolah in December. Yay! I realize that I’m being extremely long-winded here. I just wanted to explain (to Audrey and Feodor, if they happen to read this) why my cover letter is so stunningly (can mean either good or bad. You guys decide) different. So here goes…



5 September 2009


Director
XXX Pte Ltd
Level 26, South Tower
One Raffles Quay
Singapore 048583

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to introduce myself and express my interest in applying for an internship as an Analyst in your company. I came to know of this Internship through the Career Services website of my school, the National University of Singapore. I noticed, on the website, that you were only looking for Economics majors and Business majors for this internship. However, I believe that with my strong Mathematics background, I would be as qualified for this internship as the Economics and Business majors.

I am currently in my third year of undergraduate studies at the National University of Singapore and with my background in Pure Mathematics, I believe that I possess the appropriate mathematical, critical thinking and analytic skills required for the internship you will provide. It was mentioned, in the website, that the learning outcomes you have planned for this internship include the preparation of financial models as well as the preparation of financial memorandums. And although I have no formal financial training nor any experience in financial modeling, I strongly believe that my Mathematics background has equipped me with the skills to pick up these skills on the job. Furthermore, the purpose of an Internship is to learn. I believe that I will definitely learn from such an experience.

I also have the intention of pursuing a Masters degree in Quantitative Finance after obtaining my Bachelor of Science. This internship would undoubtedly give me a thorough insight into the financial industry as well as prepare me for my graduate studies.

I would welcome an opportunity to further discuss my qualifications with you and how I would be of an asset to the company during the internship. I am excited to also learn more about the skills I will be picking up from this internship. I can be reached at the number and e-mail address provided below. I look forward to hearing from you.


Yours Sincerely



Chew Pei En
45 Jalan Taman
Singapore 328991
Ph: +65-91505122
E-mail: chew_pei_en@hotmail.com

Edit: 2244h, Sunday. Thanks Michelle.




4 comments:

  1. Hey Pei En,

    The blogging activities actually become so funny. I mean, I sit in front of you for presentation preparation, but I can not tell you what I think about your post. I comment in the website instead.

    Alright, get back to our business. I am pretty impressed because the internship requirements are slightly different from your expertise. What inspires me is that you turn to tell the reader about the relationship between the requirements (Economics and Business) and your educational background, your capability.

    Moreover, the future plan to have a Master Degree in Quantitative Finance actually tells the reader your interest and passion.

    All in all, your letter is definitely relevant and focused on what the employer expect.

    Thanks for your letter which inspire me some more about how to write to impress people. Wish you the best in your application.

    Cheers,
    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pei En,

    you listed relevant skills, and this letter is well-organized. Language used is courteous, clear and persuasive.

    However, I would like to suggest that you omit out the fact that you are not a Economics/Business major in the first paragraph. Your second paragraph is already doing its part by promoting you as a right candidate for the internship even though you are a math major.

    A really puny mistake: the company's address isn't presented neatly. Other than that, it's all fine :)

    Regards,
    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pei En,
    Feel that you have quite a bit of academic qualifications that you want the company to take note of but its presented in a rather chunky manner. May want to consider shortening your paragraphs.

    Also, do you have any relevant job experiences to mention and highlight certain qualities about yourself? Especially since you do not meet the company's specifications exactly.

    Hope it helps. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pei En,

    Your letter is quite logical and well-organized. It’s really impressive to mention that you would pursue a master degree in QF to show your interest and passion. It would be better if you could mention some habits that related to the financial area, for example, reading news about finance and economics regularly, if you do. Moreover, you may also describe a situation that can show your analytical skills to be more convincing.

    Hope you can get the position you want ^-^

    ReplyDelete