Saturday, November 14, 2009

Final Post: Course Reflections

Wow, how time flies. Three months are gone and now we have to write our final reflections post.

Initially when I took this module, I just wanted a light module so I can concentrate better on my heavier mathematics modules. Boy was I wrong...once we settled into the module, all sorts of assignments were thrown at us---blogging, peer teaching, writing of the application letters, resumes and personal statements, conducting mock interviews, researching, writing our proposals and then finally, giving our oral presentations. Phew! I can't believe I did all those in such a short period of time.

One thing that helped me to cope was the peer reviews. To me, when I go through my coursemates' work, I see certain mistakes and then when I go back to look at my work, I try to use what I've seen in the work of others to improve my own. Personally, I felt that was more useful than receiving a ton of feedback from a tutor and then trying to sift through all the information you get to try to produce something better. That's really overwhelming work. I have definitely learnt a lot from Brad as well as my coursemates. The feedback they gave for every single one of my assignments have been invaluable.

Looking back at my very first post, I think I've come far from where I was three months ago. I wrote that I rather work alone and that I was terrified of oral presentations. While I still think I'd rather work alone if given a choice, I now think that I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid group projects as I previously would (reflections on group project given in previous post "Pre-OP"). Also, I think I've overcome my fear of public speaking through the peer teaching, oral presentation as well as the numerous speaking opportunities I get in class.

Besides working on the aspects of communication that I fear most, I've also managed to gain many life skills required for the working life. For example, I used to think that you should dump all the work experience you have had into your resume. However, the peer teaching done by Michelle and Van made me realise that only the work experience relevant to the job you're applying for should go into your resume. This information really helped me streamline my resume and tailor it to the job when I applied for a vacation job recently to write teaching materials for primary and lower secondary level students. By the way, I got the job in the end.

So thank you, Brad and all my ES2007S coursemates. :)

10 comments:

  1. Hi PeiEn,

    I guess most of us thought this was a light module and never expected the amount of workload. But no pain, no gain rite. *rolls eyes* And I think we all deserve a pat on our backs, looking at all that we accomplished. It was definitely a mind blowing learning experience for me.

    Like you, I always looked forward to peer reviews especially comments after the presentation. I think it sort of is a mirror to our presentation. There are so many things we don't realise and take notice of. Friends can give really good advice on how we can improve ourselves.

    Glad I met you during this course of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to write again since the internet connection is bad and i lost previous comment...

    Never mind. it is never tired to say Thank You again, for being my blogging partner, and reviewing my blog entries.You helped me a lot in writing and organizing my entries. Thank you very much Pei En.

    I thought this is a light module too, since taking 7 modules this sem is so tough for me,I hoped to have a module which I could be slack. However, I did learn a lot thru bloggings,peer teaching,resume writing,project and OP. The knowledge i gained from this course outweighs all from my science modules, since I won't throw it away right after the final exam like what I did to other modules. I will benefit very much and indeed long time after this course.

    It is glad to know you in this module,and best wishes to your finals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Dong Fang and Audrey :)

    Dong Fang, it has been a good learning experience having you as my blogging partner. It helped me sharpen my editing skills. Thank you.

    Yes, I see that we all hoped that this module will balance out our seemingly heavier core modules. But as Dong Fang has mentioned, what we have learnt isn't something we are going to forget by December.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Pei En,

    we've come a long long way! :) Just a few weeks ago, we stayed back so late in school and stared intensely at our laptops. Just 3 months ago, I do not think I know you as much as I know you now. I feel that you're more confident now; I do see the difference in the way you presented yourself during the peer teaching session and the OP.

    Thanks for taking this module with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Pei En!

    Hahah it was a pleasant surprise to find you in the same tutorial class as mine after our experience together in EC1301!

    Anyway, the workload for this course also came somewhat like a shock to me. Even though I was pre-warned by a friend who has taken this module and introduced it to me, I had absolutely no idea it was going to be this heavy! But somehow, we got through and learnt quite abit haven't we? (:

    I have to agree what peer reviews really helped in one way or another. Through others, we learn. Perhaps this way is much more effective than what you've described, trying to sieve through tons of work just to make improvements on it.

    You've certainly did pretty good in your OP and congratulations on getting your vacation job! Hopefully someday I'd coincidentally meet you in one of the modules again! :D Till then, study hard and good luck in your exams!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey hey,

    Firstly, thank you for your comment on my blog, Pei En. Read it, I feel very happy somehow then I decide to stay a bit late to read and comment.

    Yeah, I think that we have become more social and confident Pei En since the Peer Teaching. Yeah, actually, you are the person I communicated most in this Class, in Peer Teaching, Group Discussion, Argument, Sharing Opinions... oh a lot. Both of us are straightforward. I have learnt this more from you. You are very open.

    A half of me wishes that I should have performed better during the first of of the project. The other half, on the other hand, does not because from that I have learnt so many things in communications.
    Honestly, I have grown up from your feedback and suggestion. Thank you, Pei En.

    See you around in campus somewhere, sometime.
    Here's me wishing you all the best.

    Cheers,
    Jake (from JaMFeP --> not JaMFeB ^-^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pei En

    Like you I do think that peer reviews are a good way to figure out where you went wrong, as they are feedback specifically given with respect to you and not just a whole bunch of information which you will have to sieve through to find the bits that are applicable.

    ES has definitely made all of us more vocal and ready to work in group settings. Despite the few interaction opportunities I have had with you in class, I feel that you have indeed become more confident towards the end of the course and would voice your opinions readily. It was nice having you as a classmate! (: All the best in your future endeavours and have fun at your vacation job! (:

    With Love
    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Pei En,
    Thanks for your honestly group evaluation in the previous post, certainly sheds light on our individual performances.

    I am just curious, like Michelle, as to what led both fo you to do this module?

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Feodor,

    Honestly, I couldn't find a fifth module so I was just looking around. I think one of our mutual friends introduced Michelle to this module and she asked me to take it with her.

    A few things about this module appealed to me. To be absolutely realistic and truthful, the fact that there's no finals for this module got me interested at first. Also, our friend got a pretty good grade and so that obviously drew my interest as well.

    As for the whole communications and life skills plug, I wasn't into it at all initially because my original plan was to graduate and then go to graduate school so I didn't see how resume writing and professional communications could apply to me. But throughout the course, we've seen that these skills could be applied to so many real life situations. So I'm quite happy I took it in the end.

    Pei En

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the reflection, Pei En. I like the way you focus much of it on the value of peer reviews. obviously I agree or I wouldn't be asking students to do so much of it. Doing so has obviously benefitted you as well. I think you "really turned it on" in the OP and did an excellent job, both as a member of your group and individually. I'm sure the skills you've learnt will be put to use many times over.

    Thanks again too, for all your hard work, good cheer and input into the lessons. And best of luck in all future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete