Wednesday, November 11, 2009

OP Reflections

So...the oral presentation actually went better than I expected. I was also less nervous than normal. Yay!

I personally liked our slides very much. I thought that they were simple enough, with eye-catching colours to match our sports themed presentation. That's really credit to Michelle. I'm not sure if any of the audience found fault with our presentation slides but we tried our best to make it as perfect as we could. We even took time to try it out on a projector. So I was really pleased with our slides.

I felt that I managed to keep my nerves under control. I felt that I spoke clearly and projected my voice well. My personal aim before the presentation was to speak a bit slower and to speak clearly. I felt that I did achieve that. Kudos to myself. There was another thing I tried to do differently for this presentation and that was to keep my voice sounding natural and excited. I realised that my "presentation" voice has a tendency to turn monotonous after speaking for a while. That was something I definitely tried to strive to do during our rehearsals and during the presentation itself. I'm not sure if that managed to translate to the audience, but I felt that it was definitely better than my previous presentations.

One thing that I could have done better would probably be to be internalise my points better. I thought that I was on top of things. Moreover, I was in charge of writing up the background for the proposal so I was confident that I was able to deliver a seamless presentation. However, when it came to crunch time, my mind blanked out. I tried to visualise my points in my head but none was coming to mind. I guess I was able to internalise most of my content because I was able to present my information competently enough. But at the very end, I actually forgot that I had one more slide left! That was embarrassing! I think that it indicated that I didn't internalise my content as well as I thought I did. Definitely something I need to work on next time.

All in all, I think my group did a good job. I felt that it sort of justified the hard work we've put into this. Well done all.

7 comments:

  1. Don't worry about this missed slide. Your did a fine job. I'll give you more detail later. For now suffice it to say that I was impressed by the work your group did and the commitment you showed for the proposal idea. That came through in your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pei En!

    You certainly impressed me with your presentation on Tuesday. I wrote down "clear, confident and convincing" on my notes. You appeared calm and very comfortable with the audience. I certainly did not notice any nerves dangling!

    As for your slides, it was indeed very well-prepared and the layout fitted your sports theme perfectly. However, I'm rather surprised that your group had actually tried the slides out on a projector prior to the presentation. Personally, I found the colours of the background and fonts too glaring to read. The colour combination can be improved and I would really discourage the use of white fonts set in neon coloured shapes!

    Overall, it was a great job! (:

    Cheers
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello girl,

    where are rest of the comments?

    Anyway, I am really proud of you! (I sound like a mom here...) But seriously, I think you did really well, considering the fact that you had to cover so much content. You presented with so much confidence :)

    And thanks for being a part of jamfep. I probably would have gone crazy if you weren't around... You definitely have a higher tolerance level than I do.

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Pei En!

    I have to agree with Gwen on the fact that you were really calm that day! I really couldn't sense any kind of nervousness (if there were any) nor any form of memorization of script in your presentation. You had excellent eye contact, with minimal reference back to the slides. You brought your ideas and concepts across clearly. I thought it was great!

    Presentation speed was good, however, I thought you were actually going into a phase of monotone at times. Especially at certain points, probably because the part you were presenting was quite dry/technical and just didn't have room for you to make it more interesting, or you were going too slowly with frequent pauses, it got a little (just a tiny bit) boring.

    BUT other than that, everything else was great! I really admire your calmness in such a highly tensed atmosphere!! Thumbs up for that one, definitely (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for their comments :)
    I'll definitely try and incorporate your suggestions into the way I present in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Pei En,
    There is just one think that I never did get around to tell you, or did I, about when you speak, is that you seem to always taper down at the end of your sentences. Think it was not that pronounced during the presentation itself, but do think about it.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete